Thursday, January 05, 2006

BrmmBrmm

Yesterday I had a double driving lesson on my first highway! I always imagined that there would be a huge difference between driving at 40k and 110k...but I was really surprised at how easy it was to speed. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I wasn't totally freaked either, so that's a good thing. I did have a bit of a Duel moment as a massive semi trailer rushed up behind me, but then it just sped past. My instructor is so lovely and calm, which really helps. I also got a chance to tackle a round-about and felt like a kid trapped in a revolving door. I get some kind of devilish pleasure from watching pedestrians change their mind about stepping off the curb. They take one step, notice the big LEARNER sign and quickly retreat. Haaaa.

The rest of the day was spent playing Tomb Raider (what am I? Sixteen?) and sewing a doll. This year seems to be all about learning to drive something: car, sewing machine. I'm not big on resolutions but this year I do have a few things I want to start building into my life:

1. make better food choices - "gosh, I feel like a nice piece of tofu..."
2. drive - "brake, brake, BRAKE"
3. be a little less sarcastic - "as if"
4. sew straight and smoothly and avoid "crazy stitching".
5. read more poetry, write more poetry.
6. talk less about myself - "back to me".
7. send birthday cards/gifts on time - "sorry I'm late"
8. use what I have
9. read my tarot cards more often
10. stop referring to my outstanding, fantastic partner of 13 years as "bear two". Her name is Emma.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing about your partner. I was brought up by 2 wonderful ladies I even turned out all right!!

Anonymous said...

The highway can be fun!!!!! I am excellent at speeding just ask the local cops who have given me several tickets over the past 14 years of driving. I don't know if you remember this or are even still interested but when ever you have time I would love to do a swap with you so I can get my paws on one of those lovely cats. I know you do those by hand and I do things on the machine but you can check out my needle and thread photo album and let me know if you would like to swap for anything. All those things are gone now but I could make another of any (you just let me know colors and things).

Some Books I've Really Enjoyed

  • Apples For Jam by Tessa Kiros
  • Saturday by Ian McEwan
  • Philip Larkin: A Writer's Life by Andrew Motion
  • The Bell Jar by Syliva Plath
  • Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman
  • Stasiland by Anna Funder

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Living, reading, crafting, taking photos, writing.