Thursday, November 03, 2005

A (craft) Room Of One's Own...



Because I was inspired by Soul Mama and because I'm on the verge of planning my own craft room...


A playful extract from A Room Of One's Own by Virginia Woolf.

''But, you may say, we asked you to speak about women and CRAFT - what has that got to do with a room of one's own? I will try to explain. When you asked me to speak about women and CRAFT I sat down on the banks of a river and began to wonder what the words meant. They might mean simply a few remarks about Fanny Burney (WHO KNITS); a few more about Jane Austen (EMBROIDERY); a tribute to the Brontes (CROCHET, PAINTING, SEWING) and a sketch of Haworth Parsonage under snow; some witticisms if possible about Miss Mitford (HARD CORE CROSS STITCHER); a respectful allusion to George Eliot (CALLIGRAPHY); a reference to Mrs. Gaskell (LACE MAKER) and one would have done''.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You absolutely must have your own craft room, it's a necessity, my dear.

Maggie Ann said...

Thats a clever post. I have a craft/sewing room I am trying to get organized...too much 'stuff'. Surprise!!...not. = )

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Woolf-play. What craft did Virginia enjoy? I reckon she was a closet macrame addict.

Some Books I've Really Enjoyed

  • Apples For Jam by Tessa Kiros
  • Saturday by Ian McEwan
  • Philip Larkin: A Writer's Life by Andrew Motion
  • The Bell Jar by Syliva Plath
  • Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman
  • Stasiland by Anna Funder

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Living, reading, crafting, taking photos, writing.