Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Short Break

Em and I just had four glorious days in Bright. Lots of walking Toby, reading, eating. It was the last weekend of the Bright Autumn Festival - the leaves, trees - just a blur of burnished golds and reds. We had dinner one night at Simone's!! which was the best Italian food I've had in a very long time.

This time yesterday Em and I were collecting chestnuts with Toby! Sigh... we gathered quite a lot so last night I had a look at Stephanie's advice...I think I'll boil them up and remove the pulp and add it to soup sometime this week.






While some people did this...








we did this...



This was one amazing Devonshire Tea...sitting in a perfect garden with weak late afternoon light listening (in!) to the chatter of elderly ladies at the next table. It was like we'd walked onto the set of some BBC drama. Perfection.
Speaking of - I was reading Posie Gets Cozy post about Wives and Daughters so I got myself and copy on dvd and Em and I watched it on the weekend. Loved it!




The Canyon Walk.



Toby got thirsty...


This is where we stayed: High Country Lavender. Dog friendly and surrounded by bush and hills. Perfect. The light, the air was just so clear and fresh.


The weather was great - every sunset the leaves looked as though they'd caught fire.






Thanks for looking!


3 comments:

Mare said...

What a lovely vacation from everyday things! Thanks so much for sharing your time and photos...

Kirsty said...

Oh what a wonderful weekend you had. Bright is so lovely.

Christine said...

Beautiful scenery..reminds me of parts of California. And I don't blame you for not para-gliding. It would probably leave you without an appetite like skydiving does!

Some Books I've Really Enjoyed

  • Apples For Jam by Tessa Kiros
  • Saturday by Ian McEwan
  • Philip Larkin: A Writer's Life by Andrew Motion
  • The Bell Jar by Syliva Plath
  • Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman
  • Stasiland by Anna Funder

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Living, reading, crafting, taking photos, writing.