Thursday, May 11, 2006

Toyland Can Be Scary.





While Em and I were driving around New Zealand's South Island we happened across a massive toy museum...okay, I might have grabbed the wheel hysterically screaming "TURN, TURN!". We didn't stay long. Some amazing tin toys but the place was a total shambles...stuff everywhere. Lots of the toys looked kind of sad and lonely and - angry. But that could just be my imagination. Anyway. I had fun taking some photos. I think my favorite is the little bear with his glasses.

7 comments:

weirdbunny said...

I love tin toys too. The fairy with the wand reminds me of the good witch from the wizard of oz. I love hearing of your trip, you did loads of lovely stuff.

Lily Mulholland said...

Have you seen the Bratz dolls? Now that's scary!!

Anonymous said...

The bear with his spectacles is a handsome little fella... sounds like a great detour.
cheers, gracia

Anonymous said...

hey WOW, I have the fairy! Granted she lost her wings and the wand but she is a relic from childhood--I believe from the 50's. What a treat to see her in all her glory. She has a key to wind her up and she twirls around--that still works somewhat.
Sounds like a great place--I would have loved it, dust or not!
;-)

Gina said...

They really do look like that! I can see it in the photos.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of everything being jumbled up - too often I find toy museums have everything laid out neatly behind glass cabinets, and it doesn't really look like anything a child might once have played with. At the same time, though, as you say it's a bit sad.

Anonymous said...

looovve toys too! your holiday looks wonderful.
cheers, Lucy

Some Books I've Really Enjoyed

  • Apples For Jam by Tessa Kiros
  • Saturday by Ian McEwan
  • Philip Larkin: A Writer's Life by Andrew Motion
  • The Bell Jar by Syliva Plath
  • Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman
  • Stasiland by Anna Funder

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Living, reading, crafting, taking photos, writing.