Monday, May 02, 2011

Pride and Prejudice


The truth is. I 'feel' like I've read this book but I'm not entirely sure I have, so when I saw Pip over at Meet Me At Mikes was doing Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice for a book club, I knew the time had come.
I think I've seen every movie/tv adaptation, which is why I might be hazy about whether I've actually read it or not. I watched the BBC version a few weeks ago and it made me wonder if Austen is as funny and sarcastic on the page as she is in a well edited/written script. And will any of it annoy me? On film, I'm always interested in a few small moments, especially when Charlotte Lucas tells Elizabeth that she wants to marry Mr Collins.
Who knows. Maybe I'll actually realise I have read it, or possibly not. Have you read it?

Here goes.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortuen must be in want of a wife."

3 comments:

D A Nelson said...

The books are BETTER than the adaptations. Pride & Prejudice is in my top five best books of all time. It's so witty and clever and just fab. Just wait til you get to the bit with Elizabeth and Lady Catherine De Bourgh...classic! Enjoy.

Dawn
Book lover and Austen fan

Hosted Services said...

Yes the books are better!

web hosting server said...

Yeah you are absolutely right..Books are so so better than the adaptations !! web hosting server

Some Books I've Really Enjoyed

  • Apples For Jam by Tessa Kiros
  • Saturday by Ian McEwan
  • Philip Larkin: A Writer's Life by Andrew Motion
  • The Bell Jar by Syliva Plath
  • Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman
  • Stasiland by Anna Funder

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Living, reading, crafting, taking photos, writing.