Monday, January 03, 2011

Brand New Year

Ring Out, Wild Bells
Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1849)

Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light;
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

New Year's Eve was hot, especially on my sister's farm but the light on dusk was beautiful. We went for a walk but I forgot my camera so it looked a little like this: poplar trees blowing in the breeze, the sky was a dark blue shot with patches of warm light, the odd locust, making that papery sound, crunched here and there. The road was dusty and although I couldn't see them, I could hear horses in a near-by paddock coughing in that horsy way. That night, we skyped another sister in Rome and my brother in law held the computer out over the balcony so we could see some real Romans walking around their stunning city.

No idea what this year will bring but when our dollar reached parity with the US, I bought Lovely Design's gorgeous AtoZ file but now that it's here, like the New Year, I'm not too what to do with it. It's so new and pretty and I'm worried I'll use it for the wrong thing. Still. I'm planning to stick my neck out more often this year...


... so maybe it will all make sense by the end of 2011 - or maybe it won't - and maybe that's just fine.





Happy New Year.

1 comment:

ittybittyandpretty said...

happy new year.
love the new look.
xxrosey

Some Books I've Really Enjoyed

  • Apples For Jam by Tessa Kiros
  • Saturday by Ian McEwan
  • Philip Larkin: A Writer's Life by Andrew Motion
  • The Bell Jar by Syliva Plath
  • Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman
  • Stasiland by Anna Funder

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Living, reading, crafting, taking photos, writing.