Monday, October 18, 2010




The recent wild weather, rain, wind, hail has got me in the mood for some seasonal reading and what better book to read than a ghost story?
Susan Hill's latest (she also wrote The Woman in Black) The Small Hand has all the makings of a spine tingling read: a crumbling mansion, the ghostly figure of a small child, the bleak English countryside. I started it on the train this morning...


It was little before nine o'clock, the sun was setting into a bank of smoky-violet clouod and I had lost my way. I reversed the car in the gateway and drove back half a mile to the fingerpost. I had spent the past twenty-four hours with a client near the coast and was returning to London, but it had clearly been foolish to leave the main route and head across country.

It's a slim book (166 pages) so plan to knock it off quickly and get back to Franzen's Freedom.

Tommorrow: Jane-Emily by Patricia Clapp.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw the film many years ago with a friend hevily into Kate Bush. The books sounds scarier!!

Some Books I've Really Enjoyed

  • Apples For Jam by Tessa Kiros
  • Saturday by Ian McEwan
  • Philip Larkin: A Writer's Life by Andrew Motion
  • The Bell Jar by Syliva Plath
  • Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman
  • Stasiland by Anna Funder

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Living, reading, crafting, taking photos, writing.